Wednesday, March 18, 2009

lunch meating

I'm always suspicious that many "vegetarian" menu items contain meat, either with malicious intent, or just accidentally. Case in point, my lunch experience today.

11:30am - I line up at the buffet. A colleague points out "Oooh look Mitchell, they have veggie gyozas today!" to which I reply "That's odd, they've never served those before. I think I'll stick with the salad bar today."

11:35am - Colleagues are still raving about the veggie gyozas. "Try one Mitchell!"

11:45am - I'm finished my salad. More people are still raving about the gyozas. I relent and grab one from the buffet.

11:46am - After half a bite: "This doesn't taste right. Nope. I taste something distinctly meaty in here." I put my fork down and call the server over. "Are you sure these are vegetarian? This gyoza is making me uncomfortable." I'm met with the blank stare of a food service bot who has little interest in my feedback. I implore: "I'd really appreciate it if you could check with the kitchen just to make sure these are labelled correctly."

11:52am - The server disappears for a while and comes back. Then disappears again and comes back. No response or follow up to my inquiry.

11:57am - Avoiding eye contact, the server quietly slips over to the buffet and removes the 2/3's-full tray of gyozas and replaces it with pasta and tomato sauce.

2 comments:

  1. Please tell me you raised some hell. Or at least...faked an allergic reaction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Jeremy. An allergic reaction would've been priceless.

    ReplyDelete